Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Judgement.

How can it be that this one word, that this one action, that this one idea can cause so much strife, heartache and isolation. Not only is this induced by the people receiving the backlash, but it is always the final resting place of the persecutor. Even with this knowledge, we still go around rambling phrases like, " Well, atleast I am not THAT bad" or " Thank GOODNESS I am better than him/her" or my personal favorite, " Bless their heart." Sheesh! We toss these disdain dripping phrases and words around so freely, and usually to mask our own insecurity...

...Yes, you know I am right. Don't shake your head.

Feeling defensive??? Don't worry, I am also exposing myself right now. I have recently judged and I have recently been judged. I have seen people that I care deeply about be shackled in judgment's prison for their differences, ideas and others lack of understanding. I have, at times, felt hateful things in my heart about others because I couldn't get my own act together and I have also witnessed how wrong I usually am; how wrong we ALL usually are.

Most of the time our discomfort grows and judgment starts rearing it's ugly head when others challenge our paradigm of understanding, when they throw a curve ball into our suburban vortex and when they, with their fearless actions, shatter our cozy and comfy stereotypes.

Boy, do we HATE when his happens.

I have people in my life covered in tatoos, people that are considered radical thinkers, people that push the envelope and people that, at times, slap me across the face with surprise... Bless their heart.They show me everyday how ridiculous my safety bubble is, and yes, many times it makes me wanna throw things at them and cuss loudly .... However, I pray that we may all have the great opportunity to experience their radiance and audacity and appreciate it when we do. I can only hope we learn greater tolerance and have a more appreciative heart in regard to the way Christ feels about all of us, his silly and security hungry kids.

I wonder what He might say to us in these moments... I think it might sound a little something like, " * Do not judge, or you too will be judged. " Hmmm, wise words. We should really start listening more closely....

* Matthew 7:1

No comments: