Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Heaven.

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. - John 17: 3


It is on nights like this, when the wind is cold and crisp and the air smells strangely of the universal childhood, that I cannot be anything but restless......

It is on nights like this, when I lay in bed typing away, feeling like my queen size bed is its own island and to travel from one side to the other would only further isolate and exhaust, that my heart grows anxious.

I think that we all have times of life when things are going very well and there is much to look forward to, yet we feel alone and antsy. When our happiness plays tug-of-war with our natural instincts, intincts that harldy ever cause one to be open, extroverted and optimistic.

Sometimes I can't help but shake a certain feeling, one that alway turns my eyes to the sky, and one that longs for rescue from this world . When this happens, my eyes pull upward, as if magnetically drawn to the dwelling place of my Father.

I look around at what we all do to eachother and ourselves and the state of this world, and can't help but desire a day when we are taken to our eternity and are FINALLY at peace. I am hopeful of a time where we will rest with the ones we have lost, have our "why?" questions answered and understand what all of our heartache and joy was for. This may seem like an extreme thought, but it holds my restlessness often and I can't lie about that.

In the words of my new friend, Oswald Chambers, "Life without war is impossible either in nature or in grace. The basis of physical, mental, moral, and spiritual life is antagonism. This is the open fact of life."

...and you ask why I could possibly long for this day; the day of rescue?

We are given life to be joyful in, to learn from and to store up many treasures for our eternity. However, I know that none of my happiness on earth will be close to that of in Heaven and I peacefully rest in that; seeing the pain of this world, how can I not? Knowing we live a life of war, it is not possible to believe otherwise.

Until this time all we can do, I assume, is focus our energies precisely, try to live a life of conviction and love, and remember these words in our times of trouble and lack of understanding..." Be good cheer, I have overcome the world." I will take heart in this... and always with my eyes turned upward.

1 comment:

E.S. Kraay said...

Jessica,

I found your blog as I searched for Hosea's quote. I'm very impressed.

Gene
www.eskraay.com/theolympian