Tuesday, August 19, 2008

"Oh Captain, My Captain."

I was sitting in my boss's office earlier this morning watching a movie....you heard it right; a movie. To our defense, however, it was research for our " At the Movies" series. So ya, there we were watching clips of the maginificant and classic "Dead Poets Society." If you have not seen this movie, it is a MUST. For us english nerds, it is one of the great inspirations of our chosen passion.

As the movie rolled, the climactic part beagn... The part in which all of the the teacher's students ( all male, as it is an all boys school) stand on their desks and recite the phrase to him, " Oh Captain, My Captain." I got chills. To take a writers words and offer it to someone as a gift of endearment is truly a remarkable way of romancing, and is very personal...And that is what they were doing, giving their teacher a huge gift of respect and heart.

I once gave someone a book of poetry, and inside of it was a stanza from my favorite poem by Dylan Thomas, " Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light." To other readers this may mean nothing, but to me it opens up colors and artistry that meld and manifest into my soul, creating a sense of ownership and security. To have written this in the gift I gave was nothing less than an offer of my heart and soul, and thus proves my idea of owning anothers words and how powerful it is to offer them as gifts.

It is so important that we open our hearts and minds up to the great literature and words of those before us, and bring them into this world. I promise, they will enrich your life, paradigm and vocabulary far more than what Lil' Wayne can offer...."OHHHKAAAY!"

-Just sayin'

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just did a Google search for Hosea 2:14 and your blog came up... so I figure I'd read your recent entry. I've never seen the "Dead Poet Society" before, but it sounds like something I'd like.

Well, I may just have to stop by again sometime to say what else I can learn from you! :o) God bless you.

Michelle
http://handsfrozentothesword.com

Jessica Stanley said...

Thank you so much Michelle! Sorry this response is SO late. Please stop by again!!